Innectis Community Forum

Author Topic: 5 years  (Read 3529 times)

Vector

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • I am the exception, not the rule
    • View Profile
    • Code Speak
5 years
« on: August 09, 2016, 11:08:49 AM »
On this day 5 years ago I made my first commit, or code addition, to the Innectis codebase. Wow a lot of time has gone by. I can't believe it's been 5 years already! This has been the longest continual project I have ever been a part of in terms of frequency of contributing.

Lynxy was the one who suggested to Hretsam that I could be a candidate for developer. To be honest, she wasn't even sure if I would be able to perform the task. Alas, I got my development environment setup and downloaded the source code for Innectis. I was not prepared for what happened next.

My goodness was I overwhelmed... this was easily the largest project that I had ever taken on in my life and it hit me hard. One of my own personal projects has 5,586 actual lines of code in it. This, however, is over 10 times that by now. I'm used to it.

Shortly after I had started contributing I didn't do anything for over a month. Lynxy talked about it and said that if I was going to take anymore time off she'd find a replacement for me. That was so long ago and I remember it like it was yesterday. Yes I have taken lengthy breaks from it in the past, that is no secret.

Some of my contributions include the mail system, chest shop system, revamped ban system, elevators, block economy, the trash, the list goes on. I also discovered the true source of a very large memory leak that had been an issue ever since Innectis started. I applaud the efforts of Hretsam and Lynxy for working on figuring it out as well. I remember developer conversations that revolved around this issue a few times.

So much has happened and I'm glad this community is still around. I still love contributing to the code, making improvements as I go along. The Chest Window System post details one of the improvements I would like to continue making to improve interactions with Innectis in general. It is my goal to innovate as much as I can to make your experiences much better.

I don't know what the future holds, but I'm sure it is bright. Thank you guys for helping me make this one of the best servers I have ever been on and I hope we become even better!
  • AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend
I like to make things. That pretty much describes the kind of person I am.

SGT_ADZ

• Retired Staff
  • Rainbow Member
  • I'm kind of a big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: 5 years
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 04:20:25 PM »
Must resist urge to quote and lol
  • SGT_ADZ
    SGT_ADZ
    SGT_ADZ
Twitter: @AMcLachlan1

Vector

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • I am the exception, not the rule
    • View Profile
    • Code Speak
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 12:27:18 PM »
I want to make this very clear: I'm still here because I see value in Innectis. I would have left Innectis long ago if I lost the desire or the value just didn't appeal to me anymore. I'm glad that you guys still show up, wanting to see what's new, that's nice!
  • AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend
I like to make things. That pretty much describes the kind of person I am.

Eggnaug

• Solaire of Astora
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Warrior of Sunlight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 01:03:03 AM »
I remember when I first joined the server. MinyMiloCat, Russian14Scout, Lynxy, theyoungster1, and tommykins20 showed me the ropes. Nosliw was just promoted to Moderator and Alpha became Developer and soon after Admin. I loved the server so much that on my 5th day I was already VIP. In the next two weeks I donated to Super VIP. By May of that next year, I joined the staff as Moderator and was quickly promoted to Rainbow Moderator. About a year later in October 2013 I was promoted to Admin. I spent about 80% of my free time on the server the first few years. Now that I am back, I'm sure the adventures will continue.

• Eggnaug
    Eggnaug
    Eggnaug
Praise the Sun!