Innectis Community Forum

Author Topic: Chest Window System  (Read 2393 times)

Vector

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • I am the exception, not the rule
    • View Profile
    • Code Speak
Chest Window System
« on: August 07, 2016, 06:01:27 PM »
Over the years, many commands have been added to IDP. Since some of these commands are informational, I had to lay them out in such a way as to make sense. However, some of the commands don't lay out properly and end up looking really messy. An example of one of these messy commands is the /warp command. It lists all official warps as well as lot warps.

Within the last year, SGT made a suggestion to me to use chest windows. I then got an idea. What if I translate existing commands to use this system? What a fantastic idea! This has already been used with the latest IDP update (10.6.0) with the /setting command which replaced the command output. Some of you are already familiar with the /trash -view command to view the trash. The old shop system also used this system which I covered in a on my channel.

This window system can serve more than one purpose. Not only does it display information but can also be used to modify settings at the same time. With the old command format, you input a command to list some kind of information, and then you use another command to set some kind of setting. This is also a neater alternative as it exploits the tooltip and inventory system to give you custom results.

This shouldn't be over glorified though as it shouldn't be used with every command. Commands that show a lot of information could probably benefit from this system but commands with very little to show probably won't make much of a difference. It really depends on what is shown and how the command works.

It has always been a goal of mine to make interacting with the server much easier and simpler. I hope this window system can serve as a great alternative to what is already there. I'll be converting more commands to use this system in the future. The staff requests feature is also planned to be overhauled. Not only will it be converted to this system but its functionality will also be improved upon in a way that will benefit user and staff.
  • AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend
I like to make things. That pretty much describes the kind of person I am.