Innectis Community Forum

Author Topic: Filter toggle  (Read 4016 times)

gohkamikaze

• Goldy VIP
  • Vi veri universum vivus vici.
    • View Profile
Filter toggle
« on: February 05, 2012, 01:06:43 AM »
Hey guys,

Recently it has come to my attention that the chat filter on the server has recieved an upgrade. I was originally an advocate for the filter - still am, I can see the need to tone down the language for the younger Innectians. But when I discovered the word 'scum' was actually censored (preumably on the grounds of its last three letters), I thought that that was a little too much. Also, as the filter is not perfect (and most likely never will be due to the absolutely huge amount of vulgarities in the english language), players continually pick holes in the filter.

No, this is not a proposal to scrap the filter itself. Instead, this is a proposal to add a toggle to the list of console commands. I believe that all users should start off with the toggle enabled by default BUT, if they so choose, have the option of disabling it by entering a command such as '/chatfilter off' or '/chatfilter on' to re-enable it.

So guys... What say you?
  • gohKamikaze
    gohKamikaze
    gohKamikaze
Hi. My name's gohKamikaze. I Reddit and stuff.

Quote from: The Cloak
'Between you and me Yuric, I think those Ruskies need a good kick in the balls. Right in the testicles, the source of their commie power.'

StarScythe7

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Filter toggle
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 02:41:14 AM »
I Support this idea, let's let the user decide themselves if they can handle certain language.
  • StarScythe7
    StarScythe7
    StarScythe7

Caaaaarrrrlll

• Goldy VIP
  • Computer & Internet Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • Carl Bennett
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 02:52:11 AM »
For the record, I've been requesting for this since before the filter system was even on the live innectis server. I've been requesting for this since the idea was invented. I've requested it so much that I've gotten mad at the staff for not allowing it, even for coming up with a witty response on why -not- to have it from one of the staff members.

I support this idea 110%. It's not fair to the older members of innectis who cuss on a daily basis.

Filtering the chat only increases one's level to avoid the filter. It's like censorship. You all saw what happened with SOPA...
  • Caaaaarrrrlll
    Caaaaarrrrlll
    Caaaaarrrrlll

Caaaaarrrrlll

• Goldy VIP
    • View Profile
    • Carl Bennett
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 03:45:48 AM »
Oh, and the forums don't have a filter, that's a plus.
  • Caaaaarrrrlll
    Caaaaarrrrlll
    Caaaaarrrrlll

zer0k

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 11:54:12 PM »
A good idea if technically feasible.

Vector

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • I am the exception, not the rule
    • View Profile
    • Code Speak
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 12:25:52 AM »
Here's another witty response:

We will not add a toggle because it makes us look like we're condoning swearing, which we are not. That is the reason why the filter was put into the chat system. It makes us look bad by allowing selective users to see the curse words being said. And that is not something I strive for, nor do the other administration.

It may seem bad that we're censoring individuals, but I've known growing up that such words are distasteful, and horrible.

The staff won't stand for this.
  • AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend
I like to make things. That pretty much describes the kind of person I am.

gohkamikaze

• Goldy VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 01:29:18 AM »

We will not add a toggle because it makes us look like we're condoning swearing, which we are not. That is the reason why the filter was put into the chat system. It makes us look bad by allowing selective users to see the curse words being said. And that is not something I strive for, nor do the other administration.

It may seem bad that we're censoring individuals, but I've known growing up that such words are distasteful, and horrible.

That's understandable. Although, could I please request that the words 'scum' and 'title' be de-censored? I know you guys are trying to make the filter as through as possible to stamp out loopholes, and I respect that, but it seems a bit strange that two perfectly reasonable words are censored due to a small handfull of letters.
  • gohKamikaze
    gohKamikaze
    gohKamikaze

'Between you and me Yuric, I think those Ruskies need a good kick in the balls. Right in the testicles, the source of their commie power.'

Caaaaarrrrlll

• Goldy VIP
    • View Profile
    • Carl Bennett
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 01:56:41 AM »
through
thorough*

sorry ;\ that bothered me quite a bit
  • Caaaaarrrrlll
    Caaaaarrrrlll
    Caaaaarrrrlll

Vector

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • I am the exception, not the rule
    • View Profile
    • Code Speak
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 05:29:19 AM »

That's understandable. Although, could I please request that the words 'scum' and 'title' be de-censored? I know you guys are trying to make the filter as through as possible to stamp out loopholes, and I respect that, but it seems a bit strange that two perfectly reasonable words are censored due to a small handfull of letters.
I have modified the filter for an update, where it won't do that anymore.

That was actually a side effect of an algorithm to filter curse words within punctuation, but it didn't work as well.
  • AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend
I like to make things. That pretty much describes the kind of person I am.

gohkamikaze

• Goldy VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 06:49:20 AM »
through
thorough*

sorry ;\ that bothered me quite a bit

Wow, only just picked up on that... I apologise, usually I proof-read my posts a couple of times :S
  • gohKamikaze
    gohKamikaze
    gohKamikaze

StarScythe7

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 06:11:32 AM »

But even Runescape has the option to turn off the chat filter  :-\

I also don't think it would make the staff look like they condone swearing, but rather support the freedom of choice. I Also don't think it would make the staff look bad because said person turned off the filter because they personally chose to.  :-\

I just think it's silly for people to be offended because of certain words, they are just words. It's how they are used that can make them offensive.
  • StarScythe7
    StarScythe7
    StarScythe7