Innectis Community Forum

Author Topic: XenForo as forum software  (Read 2899 times)

Vector

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • I am the exception, not the rule
    • View Profile
    • Code Speak
XenForo as forum software
« on: September 21, 2016, 05:26:20 AM »
For awhile now we've toyed with the idea of switching forum software, but nothing really concrete has been decided on. I've thought of XenForo multiple times, because it's in use by a lot of communities out there. I've had a lot of exposure to the software from an outside perspective, but never actually had it myself. Two sites that make use of it are the bukkit and spigot sites.

https://bukkit.org/
https://www.spigotmc.org/

However, this isn't free. The price tag is at least $140 / year, which I don't think is too unreasonable considering the features that we'd get. Actually, we'd have to pay $140 anytime we want to renew a license which allows us to buy future updates. We could keep the 1 year license and when it expires, just buy another when we want future updates.

Edit: When replying with your thoughts, check how our data is presented with SMF, and then check how it's presented with XenForo.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 05:53:56 AM by AlphaBlend »
  • AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend
I like to make things. That pretty much describes the kind of person I am.

SGT_ADZ

• Retired Staff
  • Rainbow Member
  • I'm kind of a big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: XenForo as forum software
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 04:14:08 PM »
Didn't you already try this software? And if I remember correctly, it was ****, bland, and quite frankly, nothing like what we wanted?

Focus on getting players to actually play first, then worry about the forums. Get the tutorials in a custom book, and put that in the starter kit, (like I suggested atleast a year and a half ago.) The forums arent a priority right now. The best thing to do currently is to transfer information from here to a physical item on the server.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 04:16:34 PM by SGT_ADZ »
  • SGT_ADZ
    SGT_ADZ
    SGT_ADZ
Twitter: @AMcLachlan1

Vector

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • I am the exception, not the rule
    • View Profile
    • Code Speak
Re: XenForo as forum software
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 04:59:08 PM »
Didn't you already try this software? And if I remember correctly, it was ****, bland, and quite frankly, nothing like what we wanted?

Focus on getting players to actually play first, then worry about the forums. Get the tutorials in a custom book, and put that in the starter kit, (like I suggested atleast a year and a half ago.) The forums arent a priority right now. The best thing to do currently is to transfer information from here to a physical item on the server.

You're probably thinking phpBB here. We never tried out XenForo. There is a 3-day demo, but it's stock, and I can only do so much with that 3 days. So meh.
  • AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend
I like to make things. That pretty much describes the kind of person I am.