Innectis Community Forum

Author Topic: The Waiting Game  (Read 2824 times)

Vector

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • I am the exception, not the rule
    • View Profile
    • Code Speak
The Waiting Game
« on: September 21, 2014, 07:06:11 PM »
It's been about 3 weeks since Minecraft 1.8 came out, with no sign of Bukkit for 1.8. A reason for this was that most of the staff of Bukkit retired recently because of a bad decision made from one of its developers that presumably started when Mojang made it clear that they had bought Bukkit over 2 years ago. This caused a serious backlash that affected another server software as well, Spigot. The team lead, EvilSeph, was the first to go. Several others followed later after a DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) was filed against CraftBukkit by one of its own developers, most likely following resentment about the Bukkit acquisition becoming public knowledge.

Another recent event that may make Bukkit's future rather dire was the purchase of Mojang by Microsoft for $2.5 Billion dollars. This has the potential to make Minecraft worse, but don't take that bit of information for granted. Nothing is certain now, but we'll see what the future holds for the game.

Since those events another server software has been in development from various developers of popular mods and bukkit plugins, like World Edit. This software is known as sponge. There is also another piece of software called Glowstone. Both are intended to be written from scratch, to remove any potential of legal wrongdoing. Sponge isn't even capable of running as a server yet, and Glowstone doesn't even have complete vanilla functionality.

I'm just waiting to see if any suitable solutions become available. It might make sense to use Spigot, but it's not even on 1.8 properly and I'm just not a fan of it, a lot to do because of some quarrels between the two communities in a way. So on that note, things are in the open still.

We'll just have to wait and see what's going to happen. In the meantime, I'm wondering if we should just go back to 1.7.10 and be on the real IDP, not just vanilla. Sorry this wait has been so long, and even more that we never got to making a post until now.
  • AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend
I like to make things. That pretty much describes the kind of person I am.

OrangeBlueZ

• On Innectis since before it was cool
  • Retired Staff
  • That blue lizard guy
    • View Profile
Re: The Waiting Game
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 11:19:54 PM »
I'm under the impression that at the time we had voted, that vanilla was weighed as an option BEFORE the whole bukkit debacle was made public.  Under that assumption was that the temp server was expected to last no longer than any other version update.  With Bukkit informally dissolved it might be a good idea to consider another vote as to whether or not we revert back to the last version for the time being.

I'm having fun in vanilla so I really cant complain either way.
  • OrangeBlueZ
    OrangeBlueZ
    OrangeBlueZ
Wait, are you terrified, or excited?  I need to decide whether or not I'm kidding.