Innectis Community Forum

Author Topic: Investigating the IDP and reasons for the huge lag spikes  (Read 2449 times)

Vector

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • I am the exception, not the rule
    • View Profile
    • Code Speak
Investigating the IDP and reasons for the huge lag spikes
« on: November 22, 2013, 02:15:58 PM »
I have setup my test server in such a way to gauge the memory usage and CPU. You may connect to home.codespeak.org and play on the server. The more people to play on my test server the more accurate the results are going to be.

This is one of the things I would like to do before the next IDP update. I found a program that comes with my JDK (Java Development Kit) that can be used to monitor this, so that's what I'm doing.

The best way to do this is to put this in an environment similar to production (our live server). However, the problem stems from the IDP and not the server itself, so I felt a production environment wasn't really needed.
  • AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend
I like to make things. That pretty much describes the kind of person I am.

Eggnaug

• Solaire of Astora
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Warrior of Sunlight
    • View Profile
Re: Investigating the IDP and reasons for the huge lag spikes
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 05:13:17 PM »
Shouldn't this be in the dev section?
  • Eggnaug
    Eggnaug
    Eggnaug
Praise the Sun!

Vector

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • I am the exception, not the rule
    • View Profile
    • Code Speak
Re: Investigating the IDP and reasons for the huge lag spikes
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 08:20:19 PM »
Well thank you guys for coming on my test server and playing around. The more people, the more accuracy. You're probably wondering why this was even necessary. Basically, I have a program that monitors my minecraft server's memory usage. It can track exactly what has memory and how much memory it's taking up. It can also track the latency (speed) of everything on the server.

Basically, I had to know how much memory was there near when the server was started. Then, after hours of it being up, I track this again. Basically, I want to be able to track how much memory is being used at different stages, as the longer the server is running the more noticeable memory leaks become. It's not a simple thing to track, as this requires me to look at many different areas of the code, as I notice objects taking up a larger amount of memory than they should.

However, it's difficult without this tool, to know what exactly is taking up more memory than it should. Well, hopefully I can make some considerable progress after analyzing the results of this test. I'd like to thank each and every one of you who helped by going on the server and playing around.
  • AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend
I like to make things. That pretty much describes the kind of person I am.