Innectis Community Forum

Author Topic: Finding new ways to solve problems.  (Read 7781 times)

TheReasoning

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
Finding new ways to solve problems.
« on: March 25, 2013, 09:12:28 PM »
Now now, I realize most of you reading this are going to be thinking "Reasoning is banned right now! This is a cop out of a ban appeal!". To that I answer no.

I have come to a personal consensus that not many (If anyone) have had very good communication skills lately. All I see lately are more and more ban posts, of new and/or old players stacking up faster then I have ever seen before, but has anyone asked "Does banning a player really help?". Now I am not going to argue anything in specific here, or create a solution for the problems this community is facing, I will leave this to the community. But I do believe there is some form of misdirection happening, especially in the form of communication, and hopefully some of you can see things the way I do and realize the issues at hand.
  • TheReasoning
    TheReasoning
    TheReasoning

RickTheRuler

• VIP
  • Wake up John.
    • View Profile
Re: Finding new ways to solve problems.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 12:04:00 AM »
So what do you think the staff should do instead of banning people for using hacks?

Slap them on the hand and say "No"?

I'm not really sure where you're going with this but I think banning people is the best way to handle situations. Warnings and kicks are already given for spamming and other nuicances so I don't know what else should be done.

A jail wouldn't solve the problem because then players would start raging in /msg, so staff would still see what they're saying, which wouldn't solve the problem.

A ban, on the other hand, removes the nuisance and allows them time to cool off, reflect on what they've done, and how they can improve themselves to avoid another situation related to their ban.

So, "Does banning a player really help?"
My answer: Yes
  • RickTheRuler
    RickTheRuler
    RickTheRuler

Vector

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • I am the exception, not the rule
    • View Profile
    • Code Speak
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 01:26:54 AM »
I think a key issue is that players don't often read the rules of the server. The new tutorial which will take effect for guests will happen with the next update, and there is a rule section (thanks StarScythe7) at the beginning of the tutorial.

Hopefully this way new users will be aware of our guidelines and be less likely to break the rules.

Current members should make it a goal to read the rules if they haven't already, and learn things that they may not be aware of.
  • AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend
I like to make things. That pretty much describes the kind of person I am.

l_iamW

• Goldy VIP
  • Ancient Member
  • IT'S TIME TO DU-DU-DU-DU-DU-DU-DU-DU-DUEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 03:24:58 AM »
Of course! What else are you going to do with them? But most players don't even know why they have been banned or for how long as they don't look at the forums which also means they don't look at the server rules!
  • l_iamW
    l_iamW
    l_iamW

Booking50

• Goldy VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 06:31:18 AM »
Maybe more kicks and mutes/jails
  • Booking50
    Booking50
    Booking50

SGT_ADZ

• Retired Staff
  • Rainbow Member
  • I'm kind of a big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 06:36:24 AM »
Mute = Broken.
  • SGT_ADZ
    SGT_ADZ
    SGT_ADZ
Twitter: @AMcLachlan1

Nosliw

• Retired Staff
  • Rainbow Member
  • You can't hurt me, I'm a Jelly Fish..
    • View Profile
    • Uber Island
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 07:15:53 AM »
I find that it depends on the player and the length of the ban, for example swearing, we ban a player for 6 hours automatically when they swear (I think 6 times), this is harsh yes, but I think it has (for some people) reduced the amount that they swear. However there are those people that still continue to swear because the ban doesn't matter as much to them.

The more lengthy the ban, the more effect it may have, people enjoy playing the game, and hence stopping them from doing so could have an effect, and the more time that goes by, the greater the effect, however I agree that it doesn't matter to some people. Other punishments for different cases may be used, such as jail or mute, and etc, however kicking players seems to have little effect on those who intend to cause trouble. It has also occurred before that players have had items removed from them in cases such as x-ray.
  • Nosliw
    Nosliw
    Nosliw
I'm here to help.. With the following exception:

@EventHandler(priority = EventPriority.LOW)
public void onPlayerJoin(PlayerJoinEvent event) {
    Player player = event.getPlayer();
    if (player.getName().equals("SGT_ADZ") {
        player.kickPlayer("Yeah... Nah!");
        return;
    }
}

TheReasoning

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 03:37:15 PM »
Mute = Broken.

Fix mute then, this issue has been unadress for some time now.

Another thing that I could thing would help in some situations, if to lock a player to their lots for a certain amount of time. I do not know if this is possible, but for things such as greifing perhaps, the player could be forced to remain only on their lot(s) for a certain period of time.

This is the movement I am trying to create here, I knew as soon as I created this topic, someone (Rick in this case) would instantly neglect it and come up with an easy answer without thinking about possible outcomes. Please do not reply to this with any more "No I like ban it stays!" posts, for I know a lot of people have this opinion, however I do not feel this way, so if this gets ignored, fine by me. It seems to happen a lot anyways. But I just ask to please be optimistic.
  • TheReasoning
    TheReasoning
    TheReasoning

Eggnaug

• Solaire of Astora
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Warrior of Sunlight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 04:37:35 PM »
Mute = Broken.

Mute = staff having to deal with the person spamming their chat.
  • Eggnaug
    Eggnaug
    Eggnaug
Praise the Sun!

Vector

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • I am the exception, not the rule
    • View Profile
    • Code Speak
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 04:56:14 PM »
Mute = Broken.

Mute = staff having to deal with the person spamming their chat.
There are some cases where it doesn't have any effect, this has been unaddressed for awhile. One of us will do it in time, so don't need to worry there.
  • AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend
I like to make things. That pretty much describes the kind of person I am.

RickTheRuler

• VIP
  • Wake up John.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 10:28:20 PM »
So what is your solution, Reasoning? I haven't seen you think about any possible outcomes from your unpreposed solution.

If you can tell me what you want to happen, I'll stop trying to help solve this.
  • RickTheRuler
    RickTheRuler
    RickTheRuler

Skye

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 06:47:34 AM »
You're mad because you got banned. You think there's a problem because we ban people for using xray and/or think we ban too much... ...Or maybe people cheat to much. /thread.

l_iamW

• Goldy VIP
  • Ancient Member
  • IT'S TIME TO DU-DU-DU-DU-DU-DU-DU-DU-DUEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 11:58:19 AM »
You're mad because you got banned
  • l_iamW
    l_iamW
    l_iamW

TheReasoning

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 03:33:13 PM »
I am actually quite contempt with serving my ban time, I don't know why you would say this, have you taken the time to speak to me? Because I do not believe you have.

Please do not jump to conclusions.

@Rick I do have ideas, and have expressed some to selected people, but I would like to see the community's opinion for every time I seem to speak my mind, somehow I turn into the bad guy, and people who have hardly ever talked to me seem to turn the tables around. Prime example would be the 2 posts above this.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 03:35:54 PM by TheReasoning »
  • TheReasoning
    TheReasoning
    TheReasoning

chrisjones23

• Goldy VIP
  • User Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 04:54:21 PM »
This servers always been ban happy even when it was Otakucraft there are other ways to deal with issues but at the end of the day its whether the staff can be bothered to implement them or take the easy option of slapping bans on people.
  • chrisjones23
    chrisjones23
    chrisjones23