Innectis Community Forum

Author Topic: Buckets and reszone  (Read 3990 times)

OrangeBlueZ

• On Innectis since before it was cool
  • Retired Staff
  • That blue lizard guy
    • View Profile
Buckets and reszone
« on: March 18, 2012, 09:15:46 AM »
Alright, I bring this up merely because of recent events that I've both endured and observed.  What I'm talking about is the use of lava buckets as a weapon in innectis, more specifically in free building areas like freebuild and reszone.  As a player who takes reasonable precautions (I.E. Wears armor everywhere and executes situational awareness of players in my vicinity) I know it is simple enough to avoid/protect yourself.  I know killing players is usually permissible.  However, I cant help but voice concern over the usage of buckets with the intent to harm players in these areas. 
A couple points toward this:
  • PVP is disabled in these areas
  • Many users lack the capability to defend themselves against this (I.E. Cannot use buckets/Lava buckets) due to rank.
  • Reszone was not created as warzone.  Hence Resource Zone
  • Lava buckets can be used instantly and indefinitely by players with permissions to use them
  • No matter where you go, players can be tracked with UI mods and even commands provided to us. (/locate)

My point is, these places were not made to allow fighting by default, and using a lava bucket to harm players is simply circumventing the PVP restriction. And people HAVE certainly been doing it.   I realize these are excellent tools in the right hands, but presently I see this act as simply a way to grief and harass players and get away with it.  I feel the 'killing is allowed on innectis' under these particular circumstances is not a fit course of action for dismissing the problem. Killing players may be allowed, but I think the only reasonable way would be if all players have a fair way to interact.  I move that we either enable PVP altogether, or find a reasonable way to stop lava buckets from affecting other players in these places.

Just a friendly concern with a suggestion to improve it for all.

~OBZ
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 09:17:59 AM by OrangeBlueZ »
  • OrangeBlueZ
    OrangeBlueZ
    OrangeBlueZ
Wait, are you terrified, or excited?  I need to decide whether or not I'm kidding.

Vector

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • I am the exception, not the rule
    • View Profile
    • Code Speak
Re: Buckets and reszone
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 01:13:25 PM »
I've actually thought of disabling lava buckets in reszone before. Perhaps only allow it if the bucket is poured on a block that a player is standing on?

I agree, that this does circumvent the PvP system, such that you're not directly interacting with the player themselves when killing them.

Hretsam, Lynxy? What do you guys think? Disable lava in reszone when it's placed under a player, or just make that same behavior adhere to PvP conditions?
  • AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend
I like to make things. That pretty much describes the kind of person I am.

StarScythe7

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 01:35:11 PM »
I definitely agree with OBZ, I really don't see why any player would need to place lava in an area made for harvesting resources other than to kill other players.

I would think just disabling it in reszone would be the quicker and more effective way, but then there's also freebuild, and I'm sure some people do use lava responsibly in freebuild.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 01:38:40 PM by StarScythe7 »
  • StarScythe7
    StarScythe7
    StarScythe7

pizzachu86

• VIP
  • You know, most unicorns are males..
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 01:47:25 PM »
I've actually thought of disabling lava buckets in reszone before. Perhaps only allow it if the bucket is poured on a block that a player is standing on?

I agree, that this does circumvent the PvP system, such that you're not directly interacting with the player themselves when killing them.

Hretsam, Lynxy? What do you guys think? Disable lava in reszone when it's placed under a player, or just make that same behavior adhere to PvP conditions?
So are you saying it only allowed when you place it on their feet or  anywhere but that? 'Cause lava does spread and they dont have to put it on ur feet, just near you.
  • pizzachu86
    pizzachu86
    pizzachu86
P-P-Please don't eat me! I'm too edible!

PajamaDay

• Super VIP
  • Joey likes Nicole's Apples
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 04:23:02 PM »
Would be cool to have lava buckets work like block placement.  Cannot place if a player is standing on the block.
  • PajamaDay
    PajamaDay
    PajamaDay
"We are legion, for we are many."

OrangeBlueZ

• Retired Staff
  • That blue lizard guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 05:32:18 PM »
If it were possible to have a lava block instantly removed/deal no damage if it makes contact with a player within x seconds of being placed.  That  would seem like a very prudent way of dealing with it if at all possible.  That way it can still be used, but lost if used against someone.  This of course would only have the limitation of damaging someone potentially afk, but to that end you should probably avoid being afk somewhere unsafe...
  • OrangeBlueZ
    OrangeBlueZ
    OrangeBlueZ
Wait, are you terrified, or excited?  I need to decide whether or not I'm kidding.

Eggnaug

• Solaire of Astora
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Warrior of Sunlight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 09:28:10 AM »
What need is there for lava buckets in reszone?
  • Eggnaug
    Eggnaug
    Eggnaug
Praise the Sun!

Sciamancer

• Goldy VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 04:43:01 PM »
What need is there for lava buckets in reszone?
Collecting lava from a source as a resource; placing it on the edge of a dark ravine/hole can let you see how far the drop is better than anything else because it emits light.
  • Sciamancer
    Sciamancer
    Sciamancer

luetzj

• Retired Staff
  • Ancient Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 11:59:53 PM »
I'd like to disable it because NAME CENSORED tried to kill me and others when we were trying to collect items. +1 for this idea!
  • luetzj
    luetzj
    luetzj

Lynxy

• IDP Developer
  • Retired Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 08:58:11 AM »
How about cancel lava placement if there is more than 1 player (yourself) in a 5 block radius?
  • The_Lynxy
    The_Lynxy
    The_Lynxy

OrangeBlueZ

• Retired Staff
  • That blue lizard guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 06:47:03 PM »
I think that would definitely help.  I hate stripping things from players whenever it can be helped, and that seems like an excellent solution.
  • OrangeBlueZ
    OrangeBlueZ
    OrangeBlueZ

Lynxy

• IDP Developer
  • Retired Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 01:02:45 PM »
This has already been added and is currently live on the server. The radius is 3 blocks :)
  • The_Lynxy
    The_Lynxy
    The_Lynxy