Innectis Community Forum

Author Topic: Prevention of Voter Fraud  (Read 3312 times)

Sciamancer

• Goldy VIP
    • View Profile
Prevention of Voter Fraud
« on: January 22, 2012, 04:32:36 PM »
For future major polls (such as mod elections) I suggest that some sort of forum app be installed/written so that only those who have had a registered account on innectis forums for two or more months (amount of time subject to change at admin decision) may vote. There have been certain allegations of bringing in new people simply to bribe them to vote, which may or may not be true. This modification to the voting system would stop cheating in major polls, and members who have been around for less than two months most likely do not really know most of the candidates and thus are almost certainly not informed enough to vote in the first place. Please consider this or something like it.

Another idea: I'd hate to silence the active and kind user population, but limiting votes to VIP+ would definitively stop the creation of new accounts just to vote, as no one would pay $5.00 per vote just to become an innectis moderator.
  • Sciamancer
    Sciamancer
    Sciamancer

Caaaaarrrrlll

• Goldy VIP
  • Computer & Internet Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • Carl Bennett
Re: Prevention of Voter Fraud
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 12:16:59 AM »
Your VIP+ voting scheme is not possible.

Here's why:
  • In-game accounts and forum accounts are not linked together. (don't be fooled by your rank, remember how ryanteck asks everyone to PM him so he can set your rank?)
  • The staff already said they would not link the accounts together based on username because of ambiguity.

However, for your other clause, I agree with you except I believe the time should be much lower. Two weeks should do it. The staff always gives a week before they close the polls, so that gives enough time for the new users and no time for the users registered at the beginning of the poll.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 12:21:16 AM by Jailout2000 »
  • Caaaaarrrrlll
    Caaaaarrrrlll
    Caaaaarrrrlll

ryanteck

• Goldy VIP
    • View Profile
    • Ryanteck
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 09:48:36 AM »
 Looking at roughly what your saying (I'm on my mobile)

We might be making a way to link forum accounts together.

On this it might be possible to make it so only linked minecraft accounts can vote / make it possible so it also uses the IDP database to see if the user is a guest or not.

At the moment VIP is done by me when people send me pms. I cba to go round and do it.

I'll look into this.

- Ryan
  • ryanteck
    ryanteck
    ryanteck
Wow, such infractions, much sadness, plz uban for shibes all over the glob, sad much :C

luetzj

• Retired Staff
  • Ancient Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 10:53:52 PM »
Can we have played time on innectis used? After a amount of time playing on innectis, you could vote. That way to get extra support, you would have to have people play for hours, or buy a minecraft account.
  • luetzj
    luetzj
    luetzj

Eggnaug

• Solaire of Astora
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • Warrior of Sunlight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 10:13:50 AM »
That actually is a great suggestion. This could possibly cooexitst with my Loyalty Rank suggestion.
  • Eggnaug
    Eggnaug
    Eggnaug
Praise the Sun!

Sciamancer

• Goldy VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 11:48:49 AM »
Playing time on Innectis would work. That would also prevent cheater candidates getting people to log in once on the server then leave to never come back until an election, ensuring that voters have had some activity in the community.

Man, that VIP+ only voting thing is getting popular >_> Hey, Users, I would suggest voting on this poll to tip the balance if you want to retain power xD
  • Sciamancer
    Sciamancer
    Sciamancer

zer0k

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 01:22:56 PM »
Ironic post is ironic.

(Using voting system to get opinions about whether voting system is fair.)

Lynxy

• IDP Developer
  • Retired Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 01:33:02 PM »
This is not needed. We manually check who voted before tallying up the votes. New players, or players we've never heard of, have little to no barring on the tally. Don't worry, we've had this  under control from the start :)
  • The_Lynxy
    The_Lynxy
    The_Lynxy