Innectis Community Forum

Author Topic: IDP 10.7.0 and papyrus  (Read 2184 times)

Vector

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • I am the exception, not the rule
    • View Profile
    • Code Speak
IDP 10.7.0 and papyrus
« on: September 05, 2016, 01:43:54 AM »
Well, IDP 10.7.0 is live now! This marks the first time in Innectis history that the server software was switched to a different version. We are now using my modification of the paper Minecraft server. You can find out more about that server here: https://paper.readthedocs.io/

Before I begin I'd like to say a big thanks to Aikar, a member of the Spigot/Paper communities who sold me on the idea of switching to Paper among other things such as supplying a partial fix to an End world bug and setting me up with an environment on which to develop further the paper software (this is where papyrus comes in). So thank you!

The Performance

Where do I begin... we have been running CraftBukkit since our inception and thus haven't taken advantage of any performance improvements except those made by the Bukkit developers and then Spigot developers (to the CraftBukkit code) when the original Bukkit community crumbled. We actually did use some performance code from Spigot many years ago but have since removed the code.

Our server Papyrus is based on the Paper server, which is based on the Spigot server. While Spigot has numerous performance changes for Minecraft, Paper has many other performance changes as well. So we're going to get an even bigger boost in performance with what we now have.

Development Improvements

Historically, all changes that I had to make to CraftBukkit anytime I updated the server had to take place using an unorthodox method because I didn't properly understand the system that SpigotMC set up for CraftBukkit. For Minecraft updates this involved a painful process to update because of how I was doing it.

A few weeks ago I set out to understand the system even further. Aikar helped me set up an environment that I could use to modify the paper server. It took awhile to understand but I eventually learned more than I had previously about the system, enough to make future Minecraft updates as easy as running a single command. With that said, I'm actually excited for the next Minecraft update just to see how easy it will be to update.

Startup Script

Not only did I go and update to papyrus, but I also did some research into proper JVM flags (this goes into the startup script used to boot the minecraft server) for having the server run as efficient as it can. I followed a guide for a setup that should work flawlessly. Tweaks can always be made in the future where need be.

In Conclusion

I hope the changes brought about by switching to Papyrus will greatly benefit your experience while on Innectis. This change was due a long time ago but at least we have switched now.

Now I did encounter an issue with world generation in my first lot after logging in. If anyone has any issues let the staff know by /staffrequest if no staff are online.

EDIT: Papyrus targets java 8, the latest widely supported Java version, which introduces more performance than Java 7, which is what CraftBukkit was targeting.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 01:52:57 AM by AlphaBlend »
  • AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend
I like to make things. That pretty much describes the kind of person I am.