Author Topic: FaceBook's rise to fame  (Read 1573 times)

Vector

• Administrator
    • View Profile
FaceBook's rise to fame
« on: February 08, 2011, 04:15:50 AM »
It was only created in 2004, and already, 7 years later, it comes with a host of integration solution for various forums/serices. The "Like" feature is integrated into so many websites, and it is even being used for some schools, I'll bet.

So, what do you think of the proliferation of FaceBook?

Beansofham

• View Profile
FaceBook's rise to fame
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 01:19:11 PM »
I didn't know about Facebook until 07 and it has evolved into the masterpiece that it is now.  Even my great grandma created a account to it just to check it out because of everything that she has heard about it.

John

• Administrator
    • View Profile
FaceBook's rise to fame
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 01:49:58 AM »
But that "Like" button also TRACKS you wen you visit other sites. In other words, it tracks everything you do on the net AS LONG AS YOU ARE LOGGED IN TO FACEBOOK!!!
[quote name=\'FireFox@Azeroth\']Scripting Run-time Error 9: Subscript out of range: Too many wires behind the desk![/quote]

[color=\"#4169E1\"]ITR Account Name: [/color][color=\"#FFA500\"]Kiatos[/color]

James

• Administrator
    • View Profile
FaceBook's rise to fame
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 04:32:04 AM »
Did you know that if Facebook was a country, it would be twice the size of Japan?

However, on the downside, employees in the workplace spend about 18.5 billion minutes on Facebook each day; thus, you can only imagine the negative ramifications that social networking can have on productivity in jobs.

Beansofham

• View Profile
FaceBook's rise to fame
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 02:35:17 AM »
I expected that, so I always logged of of Facebook before surfing the Web, or visiting certain Web communities, or sites.  I will also use CCleaner to remove all of my temporary files before logging into Facebook, so my history cannot be grabbed, etc.  I never heard of anyone saying that until now, but I've always had that feeling with Facebook and so I listen to it.

I never thought about that James, but it is interesting.  I think you could be right, and I agree with you with how so many employees, also students, spend too much time being distracted with social networking, but also with checking their E-mail, playing games or using instant messaging services.  I never log into Facebook at school and I only check my E-mail when I'm waiting for something important, or for what needs to be done.  I will wait until I get home to do these things if it can wait.  Every day, I see other college students getting distracted, spending an hour on Facebook, playing Starcraft 2 from their thumb drives, or when they talk to their friends right next to them, or with somebody on the phone about what someone had done on MySpace, Facebook, or MyYearBook that pissed them off.  It's all ridiculous.  Generally, I only see someone on Facebook or playing Starcraft 2.  The SC 2 gamers are on that game all day and I barely ever noticed them doing any work.  I don't even see them in anymore.  I have no idea if they finally got caught or what.  Here I am, a 19, turning 20 tomorrow, year old that works his butt off in school, staying there after school to get some extra work done, or to get ahead and I'm working on community service projects because I can't stand seeing what is happening with my generation.  So, I'm working on ways to either help improve it, or keep this from happening from the next generation as they get older and start progressing in college.  And to top it all off, I have a visual impairment and I also qualify for services of the blind.  I have an Astigmatism, Nystagmus and Occular Albinism, or Albinism.  I can't read for too long without resting my head with my eyes closed or I'll walk around for five-ten minutes and I'll come back in the classroom and continue with my work when my eyes are more relaxed.  I'm a slow reader because of my eyes and I work harder than almost everyone there.  I'm not recognized for my hard work, but I would prefer not being recognized in the first place if ever confronted.  "It's hard," or "I'm not as smart," or my personal favorite "I'm not used to doing a lot of work," are all excuses that I've heard continuously.  I'm at a disadvantage at everything I do, that's why I have to work harder than others.  I have serious relationship problems with my father-in-law as he turned out to always think of me as a moron because I can't see something, or because I have difficulty reading, even knowing about my eye condition(s).  As if I have a learning disability, or some kind of brain disorder, which was how I was treated because of my vision problems in elementary, middle and high school.  He disrespects me and I can't stand it, so I'm always in my room down in the basement while I'm home and I don't like bringing friends over because he'll antagonize me, or will attempt to start a fight with me.  I do this to prevent stress on my other family members.  There are a lot more problems with him, as he was raised this way and more crap is going on that I haven't mentioned, but my point is, that this is a lazy generation.  I know a lot of people who would have given up long before now if they were in my shoes.  I've considered suicide, but I decided not to because my mother and my little sister love me.  My mother understands what I'm going through, and my little sister seems to be noticing.  I don't need their love to not commit suicide anymore, but it sure has helped.  

I could easily tell a story about any of these things just mentioned and you don't see me getting distracted at school, doing drugs, or giving up on life to escape my problems.  I know that this may seem cruel and probably even straightforward, but I think that society needs to give up on those individuals who don't even try go through school, getting their high school diploma's or going through college.  I say to just drop them when they don't make a effort.  Fire them from work when they repeatedly become overly distracted at work.  Facebook and gaming are not drugs and therefor should not be seen as drugs.  As society attempts to provide help and support for these individuals who wont even use them, other people with real problems aren't getting the help they need to succeed.  I was unable to get my high school diploma, because I was not allowed to take class assignments home, teachers knowing of my visual impairment, and I did not get the services I needed to succeed in school.  The blind are receiving services from organizations that have been started (both the many of the services and many of the organizations) by the blind or visually impaired.  What is the government doing about it?  I don't know about other countries, but in my country, the U.S.A., they are not helping us as much as we need to be.  Because I was at a fourth grade reading level in 7'th grade and because I couldn't complete the majority of the assignments in class (remember that I wasn't getting the services I needed), I was put into resource which is under the special education division.  I was stuck in it up to 2010, which was supposed to be my graduation year, but I couldn't complete the majority of assignments in my other required classes that required towards graduation.  Has society given up on the blind, on me?  Do they really think that we can't succeed, and so they don't help us?  I don't know, but I'm still working my ass off and regardless of how I was treated, I'm in college.  I'm buying books from the Desert Industries for me to study at home to improve my math and English skills while I'm going to college so I can better understand these tests, books and assignments.  People with other kinds of disabilities aren't getting the help they need to succeed either.  These people need services and the government of this and other countries needs to step in to helping people who actually want to succeed.

Sorry about this long reply.  I tried keeping it as brief as I could.  I guess that I have strong feelings on this.  Sorry guys.

John

• Administrator
    • View Profile
FaceBook's rise to fame
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 05:14:02 AM »
If you get stuck on games, turn to internet classes. Mine are on friday and saturday mornings.
[quote name=\'FireFox@Azeroth\']Scripting Run-time Error 9: Subscript out of range: Too many wires behind the desk![/quote]

Beansofham

• View Profile
FaceBook's rise to fame
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 03:46:44 AM »
Internet classes are not offered at school.  Instead, it is self-paced.  They do offer day and night classes, however I prefer to just get the work done while I'm required to be there.  I get more done that way, and some times I'll get so excited about something that I'll study it more and advance while I'm at home.  I don't get distracted easily at school.   http://www.codespeak.org/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

John

• Administrator
    • View Profile
FaceBook's rise to fame
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 03:25:08 PM »
Unfortunately, I easily get distracted.

Beansofham

• View Profile
FaceBook's rise to fame
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 05:49:16 PM »
[quote name='John' timestamp='1298561108' post='84']

Unfortunately, I easily get distracted.

[/quote]

We all have our problems.  Rather than getting distracted, I get too on-tasked.  By that I mean that I don't socialize, I'm there to learn and I'm out.  I don't realize when girls hit on me until later that day, or the next day.  At least you get to socialize.  I had second thoughts typing this up as well.   http://www.codespeak.org/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

They finally let me transfer over to Information Technology  http://www.codespeak.org/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> I'm really excited about that.

John

• Administrator
    • View Profile
FaceBook's rise to fame
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 11:53:18 PM »
I have BOTH the socializing AND anti-socializing problems!