Innectis Community Forum

Author Topic: Innectis, transparency, and my situation  (Read 6305 times)

Vector

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
  • I am the exception, not the rule
    • View Profile
    • Code Speak
Innectis, transparency, and my situation
« on: August 03, 2016, 11:09:53 AM »
There are some things I want everyone to know and understand. We have not been transparent about the state of Innectis over the last 2 years or so. This post is hopefully going to shed some light into that and to help people better understand the conditions that currently exist. With this post I would like to repair the damage that has been done due to my lack of effort and the lack of others.

For the last couple of years or so, we have been getting increasingly less donations from the community and had to rely more on ourselves to get by, mostly being by myself and OrangeBlueZ. We have kept the server going mostly this way but some of you have graciously donated during that time. We thank you for that.

Another issue during this time which lead up to this year was the decreasing popularity of the server. Less and less people would show up each day and there were many periods where there wouldn't even be 1 person on the server. In fact that's pretty much the case now. Not only that but the forum has been mostly dead for a long time now. The donations from the community just aren't sufficient anymore. Something or multiple things need to change.

SGT has told me on numerous occasions that something needs to change, but little was done about it. Ever since Hret left and gave Innectis to me I have not been putting in the effort that I need to put in and so we have been running the same way all this time. We have many ideas for the server that haven't been incorporated into Innectis yet so that is not the problem. Server projects have been in limbo for a long time and have not been addressed.

There are a number of things that could be a big issue. It might be that we have produced the same kinds of content for a long time, and the members we have just simply got bored of it. Another issue may be that we have not tried very successfully to advertise for years, probably a big problem. It could be that I was not as attentive to Innectis as I should be. It seemed like my loyalty had changed. I really just got distracted from Innectis many many times, so it was not my loyalty shifting. I always had a passion for Innectis ever since I joined it way back when it was OtakuCraft.

Within the last couple of months SGT decided to try again to get me to realize things weren't changing and we were still going downhill. Things were not changing and stuff needed to get done. From our exchanges, this was the last straw for him and so he left. He did not want to stay in a community that wasn't going anywhere. He told me many times how he wanted to leave because of the current conditions. StarScythe did the same thing a short time afterward. He also did not want to stay in a community that wasn't going to improve. That set in motion the events that transpired recently.

Now that you have a little idea as to the situation, let me tell you some stuff about me which I think is a big reason why we haven't been doing very well. This isn't new by any means. I have had a lot of focus/attention issues when it comes to doing things. Getting distracted is a big problem for me. The game Team Fortress 2 has been a big part of my life alongside Innectis which has served as a big distraction as well. Honestly, I'll pin the issue on the attention problems at this point and not Team Fortress 2. The same things I've noticed with Innectis happened with Team Fortress 2 as well. I had the same attention/focus issues there. It's been going on for such a long time and I have become very frustrated with myself anytime I'm not doing well.

I've been in an endless cycle of not staying very present in anything that I was doing. Staying focused has been quite an issue for me. However, I could get in the mindset and perform something brilliantly but that doesn't happen as consistently as it should and it is a bad thing to let that stuff linger. I get so frustrated when I don't perform as good as I know I can and that can happen a lot.

Over the last month or so people have been criticizing me over a hiatus I've been taking for about 2 months now. Some people will say it's been longer than that, but that is around the time that I decided that I would stop focusing on the two biggest passions that I have at this moment in time: Innectis and Team Fortress 2 and just focus on other things.

They were trying to convince me that I had to return and make things better. They just couldn't understand me and what I was trying to do, so they kept going after me, time and time again. This process culminated in me feeling largely alone. People had lost respect for me and the faith that I could bring the community back to what it should be isn't really there. Finally, I hit rock bottom. It was one of the worst times in my life because for the handful of people who supported me, others did not understand at all. There was something there that could not be seen by others. It's hard when you're not really understood by others.

I was reminded of all the failures I had made in life, whether it was from real jobs that I was fired from or times in my life that I had disappointed people. That kind of thing has been pretty common for me and I've even had and still have issues with self-doubt. A part of me says I can't while another part of me says I can. However, I know in my heart that I can be a hard worker and get things done that I need to get done. This is the mindset that I am striving for.

I not only took my priorities off Innectis but also from Team Fortress 2. I would still do some stuff with Innectis and play Team Fortress 2 but for the most part they were no longer my priority for the time being. Remember, these are currently my 2 biggest passions . It's hard to understand unless you've been in the same circumstance yourself. If you haven't, then you won't see the same things that I've seen for a long time. It was all so obvious to me.

I felt that if I stopped focusing on the things I was struggling with that I would come back better than ever because I wouldn't be in the same atmosphere with the same struggles. I would instead be focusing on something else for a change. And that's exactly what I was going to do, despite calls to do otherwise. It worked out well and let me tell you all about it.

When I took the break to focus on another program that I went back to, I had a bigger drive than I had while working on Innectis. I had a goal-oriented mindset and knew what I wanted to do. Maybe that means Innectis just isn't significant as this program was. I don't think that's the case at all. I simply wanted out, a break, to free my mind. It has worked!

Taking a break has cleared my head, allowed me to see things differently and has helped me regain the desire to want to succeed. i needed time to myself to persue other things. I felt this was the only way to really reguvinate and recuperate. Most of all, I wanted to fix the issues that have been persistent in my life for all of my 30 years.

Solving those issues will make me a much stronger individual, ready for anything life throws at me. If I'm never in the present then how am I going to succeed? I need to start setting more goals for myself instead of just take life as it comes. That isn't going to help me very much.

Through it all, this has been the most controversial/complicated problem I have ever faced on the Internet. I reached a point where people would not believe the things I was doing were for my own good. They could only see so much but to me the picture was so clear. Yes I was hurting people in the process but honestly I care about myself more than I do anything else. One should put their own problems before anything else, it will save their sanity. That's certainly what I wanted to do.

I care enough to fix what is wrong and to come back stronger than ever. I want to fix the problems not just from Innectis, but everywhere else. If I can become the productive owner that you all believe I should be, then I am going to take things further than they've ever gone before. I believe in my heart that I am truly capable of that and it isn't going to take disbelief from anyone else to change what I think.

As of this writing the break has ended, the update to the program I was working on was released, and I am coming back to you now with an even bigger desire to get things done right, and so let's make this right. There are some things I'd like to talk about going forward that are really going to help me out. They will give me more of an opportunity to focus on what I need to while giving most other responsibilities to other people.

Up until this point we haven't had any means of centrality to the administration. It was pretty much an every person for themselves kind of a thing. That typically happened whenever I spoke up. If I wasn't around to tell people what to do then they would stop working on things. I had too many things that I oversaw and it would be better if there was a form of central command so that I didn't have to decide everything.

I would like a layer of administration where I don't have to manage everything. That can be taken care of by other people. The less of a workload I give myself the better it will be for me. I'm still going to be head of IDP, deciding updates, what goes in each, etc.. However, I don't want to manage every single thing. I will still be the main authority and have a significant influence but I would like to delegate some of the responsibility to other people. I'm not doing this because I think I'm incapable. I think I'm more than capable but I'd like to have less work to manage.

I will have more information for you guys in the future on exactly what the kinds of changes are going to be. I think they will be for the best though. This community needs to be vastly improved and I think we may be able to achieve that. Just bear with us and we will get back to you with some more information on this situation.

Also stay tuned for the next IDP update. We still need to get on Minecraft 1.10.2! There are a number of things already done in IDP that don't have to do with the new Minecraft update so you can look forward to that.

Let's make this year and the following years the best ever!
  • AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend
I like to make things. That pretty much describes the kind of person I am.

wolfshond7

• Goldy VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Innectis, transparency, and my situation
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 11:59:32 AM »
So what is going to change? What are the specific goals and improvements to make and how are we going to find a solution? Reviving Innectis is not going to be easy. I believe we should start advertising in some way because otherwise Innectis is just not going to get any traffick whatsoever.

Wolf
  • wolfshond7
    wolfshond7
    wolfshond7
Deep down the Rabbit Hole.

berlioze

• Goldy VIP
  • New User :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 12:57:39 PM »
Long live Innectis!

I'll come back, I'll even moderate for you if needed.

If donations are spreading thin then I'll get back to donating every month.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 12:59:53 PM by berlioze »
  • berlioze
    berlioze
    berlioze

gohkamikaze

• Goldy VIP
  • Vi veri universum vivus vici.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 12:59:19 PM »
I began writing a huge rant, but it seems rather pointless seeing as I'm unlikely to return to Innectis.

Alpha, if I'm going to give a few words of advice:

1) Keep on doing IDP, but step down as community manager. This place needs someone dedicated who actively listens to their playerbase and staff and is consistently present. You're brilliant at coding, but historically have had a less than stellar record in community engagement - if the players and even your staff abandoning you isn't an indication of that, then I don't know what is.

2) It's good to see you don't want to micromanage everything anymore. That was a huge issue for myself and a number of players when we left. Make sure you don't start slipping back into those bad habits.

3) If all else fails, then please, just let go of the past and let this place fade gracefully into obscurity.

Best of luck.
  • gohKamikaze
    gohKamikaze
    gohKamikaze
Hi. My name's gohKamikaze. I Reddit and stuff.

Quote from: The Cloak
'Between you and me Yuric, I think those Ruskies need a good kick in the balls. Right in the testicles, the source of their commie power.'

TheNightProject

• The Destroyer Of Galaxy's Has ARRIVED!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 01:55:06 PM »
If all else fails, then please, just let go of the past and let this place fade gracefully into obscurity.
I agree, this was a great part of my childhood at one point, however every good thing has to come to an end at some point. That's the sad truth, and world we live in, as not everything can go on forever.
  • TheNightProject
    TheNightProject
    TheNightProject
Is It Killing Time Yet?

ArkaTekK

• New User :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 02:24:51 PM »
I began writing a huge rant, but it seems rather pointless seeing as I'm unlikely to return to Innectis.

1) Keep on doing IDP, but step down as community manager. This place needs someone dedicated who actively listens to their playerbase and staff and is consistently present. You're brilliant at coding, but historically have had a less than stellar record in community engagement - if the players and even your staff abandoning you isn't an indication of that, then I don't know what is.

2) It's good to see you don't want to micromanage everything anymore. That was a huge issue for myself and a number of players when we left. Make sure you don't start slipping back into those bad habits.

3) If all else fails, then please, just let go of the past and let this place fade gracefully into obscurity.

Best of luck.

You're a meanie head
  • ArkaTekK
    ArkaTekK
    ArkaTekK

Vector

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Code Speak
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 05:05:10 PM »
So what is going to change? What are the specific goals and improvements to make and how are we going to find a solution? Reviving Innectis is not going to be easy. I believe we should start advertising in some way because otherwise Innectis is just not going to get any traffick whatsoever.

Wolf

We need to first complete all the outstanding things that we started on and then we can figure things out from there.

Best of luck.

I guess I didn't explain good enough which is why you still suggested I step down. This issue doesn't just affect Innectis, but it affects me. I'm still confident I could perform well, but I just needed a well-deserved break.

I'd still want to be head of the website and head of IDP but as far as community projects go I'd rather suggest but not be the one to see them out. That's for another discussion with the staff to figure out though. I'd still do my own server projects.

I know you had some ill with the community but not sure why. Now I think I'm the one that caused that. If so then I am truly sorry.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 05:14:13 PM by AlphaBlend »
  • AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend

mercilessdegree

• Star
  • Welcome to the world of bloody evolution.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 06:11:05 PM »

Wolf

We need to first complete all the outstanding things that we started on and then we can figure things out from there.

Best of luck.

I guess I didn't explain good enough which is why you still suggested I step down. This issue doesn't just affect Innectis, but it affects me. I'm still confident I could perform well, but I just needed a well-deserved break.

I'd still want to be head of the website and head of IDP but as far as community projects go I'd rather suggest but not be the one to see them out. That's for another discussion with the staff to figure out though. I'd still do my own server projects.

I know you had some ill with the community but not sure why. Now I think I'm the one that caused that. If so then I am truly sorry.
I've noticed in what your recent communications, this reply, and this letter is you keep saying everything you do is for you, and that you are your biggest concern. Here is a great example so I had to point it out. You wont do what people feel best for your own sake, when you should really be listening to your community for your community rather than doing what is essentially satisfying your ego. If you step down you'll feel like you've failed, you've made that abundantly clear to us all at this point, but why not put that aside for one minute and realise that even if you feel like you have failed that doesn't mean you have, and instead of clinging onto ghosts of the past and staying in a perpetual feeling of failure, actually do what needs to be done and try your best to satisfy yourself.

I spent a large portion of my childhood and probably about 1/3 of my time on the internet since getting my own computer on this server, and I've kept personal contact with you as well Alpha. You know full well that I like you and that none of us want to see any of this go down in flames, can you please just listen to us and give the suggestions a try, I know you have ways to revert pretty much everything on the server if need be so why wont you just try them out for the server, and seeing as you care more about it than anything else, yourself. Please man c'mon

P.S. This big letter you've been leading us to for months, your big excuse as to why you never go any further, is nothing new. This has all been said before and is basically just a recap, and not just in my eyes.

Best of luck.

You're a meanie head
And please don't insult people for their opinions, especially with insults as childish as that kthx <3
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 06:14:02 PM by mercilessdegree »
  • mercilessdegree
    mercilessdegree
    mercilessdegree

gohkamikaze

• Goldy VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 07:22:26 PM »
Merc has a point, Alpha. Almost everything you've done as a member of Staff has been phrased in terms of what you want. This isn't a new problem - since the day you became Admin you've often made decisions that seemed to fly in the face of both reason and the general consensus of the community because it's what you wanted. You've spent so long trying to build a legacy that you've forgotten a legacy means nothing if there's nobody left to acknowledge it.

Look man, I'll be straight: If I said that your actions as a staff member engaging with the community didn't play a part in me leaving, I'd be lying. I don't harbour any grudge or ill will though. I don't hate you. Like I said, you're a brilliant coder and an alright guy, but your ethos makes you suited for something other than the face of Innectis.

ArkaTekk, you're only new (unless you're an alternative of Ryan, in which case hi Ryan!) so you haven't seen or been through the things that the fossils like Alpha, Merc or myself have. I'm being a bit harsh, yes, but this had been a particular sticking point for many of us.
  • gohKamikaze
    gohKamikaze
    gohKamikaze

'Between you and me Yuric, I think those Ruskies need a good kick in the balls. Right in the testicles, the source of their commie power.'

mercilessdegree

• Star
  • Welcome to the world of bloody evolution.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 07:51:24 PM »
Merc has a point, Alpha. Almost everything you've done as a member of Staff has been phrased in terms of what you want. This isn't a new problem - since the day you became Admin you've often made decisions that seemed to fly in the face of both reason and the general consensus of the community because it's what you wanted. You've spent so long trying to build a legacy that you've forgotten a legacy means nothing if there's nobody left to acknowledge it.

Look man, I'll be straight: If I said that your actions as a staff member engaging with the community didn't play a part in me leaving, I'd be lying. I don't harbour any grudge or ill will though. I don't hate you. Like I said, you're a brilliant coder and an alright guy, but your ethos makes you suited for something other than the face of Innectis.

ArkaTekk, you're only new (unless you're an alternative of Ryan, in which case hi Ryan!) so you haven't seen or been through the things that the fossils like Alpha, Merc or myself have. I'm being a bit harsh, yes, but this had been a particular sticking point for many of us.
Now, whilst I do agree with your main message here, and I am one of the people who has badgered Alpha the most lately. But I would like to clarify that I do not feel as strongly about everything to the same extent as you do.
  • mercilessdegree
    mercilessdegree
    mercilessdegree

gohkamikaze

• Goldy VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 08:11:07 PM »
Now, whilst I do agree with your main message here, and I am one of the people who has badgered Alpha the most lately. But I would like to clarify that I do not feel as strongly about everything to the same extent as you do.

That's perfectly alright man. I probably wouldn't have even piped up about this again if it weren't for the email that got sent out to all forum members.
  • gohKamikaze
    gohKamikaze
    gohKamikaze

SGT_ADZ

• Retired Staff
  • Rainbow Member
  • I'm kind of a big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 08:19:09 PM »
Nice to see it all come out from the shadows. I've been pretty vocal about the state of the server/community for a long time. Things definitely need to change. I'll leave it there, if anyone wants to know more of my opinion, feel free to shoot me a message.
  • SGT_ADZ
    SGT_ADZ
    SGT_ADZ
Twitter: @AMcLachlan1

Vector

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Code Speak
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 08:34:52 PM »
Did I add a feature you were not happy with Goh? If so, what/which was/were it/they?
  • AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend

Caaaaarrrrlll

• Goldy VIP
  • Computer & Internet Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • Carl Bennett
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 09:26:36 PM »
Just read the forum post. I know I haven't been active with this community much at all for several years now, but I wanted to add my two cents. I just wanted to add my experience with TeamSpeak.

I've been running a TeamSpeak community since December 2012. Initially, it was just a small set of buddies and I on it. As time went on, we brought more and more random individuals onto the server as we were playing whatever game at the time. Some of these individuals stayed for a while or not long at all, often averaging around a day up to a week, popping in once every month or so even. It took a while for us to get anyone who would stay and continuously come back more than once a week. It was difficult to release some of my power over the server to others I hadn't fully trusted yet, but I did. And it was one of the best things I've done to the community.

Ever since I've relinquished some of my responsibilities on the TeamSpeak server I own to others I call staff members now, I've had it easy. Real easy. I work full-time 9-6 weekdays and when I get home I'm often exhausted. This leaves me only having time on weekends usually to manage and spend time with the community. This is one of the real reasons why having a competent and trustful staff is important. There have been multiple occasions that while I've been at work, users who came on the server had to be kicked or banned, because they were disrupting the experience for others. These bad actors in the community are always given opportunities to apologize or clean up their act before permanent removal from the community.

At present, there is at least one staff member online 24/7. This happened coincidentally, I didn't plan it this way. It's taken a long time to get to this point as well. There were several nights that no one was online, or they were completely AFK from their computer while online. I like to think it was moments like those that made it easy for users to enter and disrupt the experience for others. And this is one of the reasons why I compiled a very basic set of rules.

I want to share with you the rules for my TeamSpeak community. Please read them, for your own knowledge.

The above is complemented by instructions on what to do if someone is acting out or causing drama:

I and plenty of others believe this is a pretty straightforward set of rules and guidelines. It keeps the community happy. I haven't had to change these much since I wrote them the first time. I did clarify a few points and reword things but nothing major since the first draft.

I hope this helps you with your Innectis Community that you wish to continue forward with.

All the best,

Carl Bennett
  • Caaaaarrrrlll
    Caaaaarrrrlll
    Caaaaarrrrlll

Vector

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • Code Speak
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2016, 11:29:38 AM »
I have spoken enough about this topic and how I feel and it's time to act instead of speak.
  • AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend
    AlphaBlend